Thrillworks is looking to expand our Operations team by adding a Senior Systems Administrator. The successful candidate will demonstrate the proven ability to move mountains, literally, mountains. Are you still reading this, or have you already hit apply and gone back to trolling /r/sysadmin? If we still have your attention what we’re looking for is someone who anticipates tomorrows IT infrastructure needs and starts implementing them today".
While you will be expected to establish policy and drive change bespoke to our growing needs, you won’t be starting from a blank slate. We have a few initiatives under way and it’s not too late for you to change the outcomes.
For example, Thrillworks is bringing the management of our IT infrastructure in house. We’re currently using Office365 but if you’re more a Google Workspaces Evangelist we aren’t against change... in fact we embrace it and frankly, demand it. Much of our infrastructure has found its way into the cloud, but you will be tasked with moving what remains.
You won’t be left on an island. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with a team of world class technologist who are equally passionate about their field of expertise as you are about yours. Don’t believe us? Check out LinkedIn to see who you’d be working with and who they’ve worked for!
LastPass or 1Password... another solution? We’ve made our choice but want to hear about yours and why you made it. If it’s different than ours convince us that you intend to make a change. Security... we all know it’s important. What we’d love to see is for you to address your thoughts on security in your cover letter. What does it mean to you? How have you gone about addressing it in past positions? Have any accreditations? Familiar with SOX audits and compliance? Spill the beans, we want to hear more.
We get it... no one wants to write a cover letter; most just want to click apply and be done with it. But if we’re being honest here, we want candidates who care about the job they’re applying for and we believe the best opportunity for that to come across is in cover letter.
We’re going to put a bunch of bullet points down here now that 95% of people don’t read but it should give you some idea of what our expectations will be:
Thrillworks is your solution for innovative web services that blend sound thinking and strategy, aesthetics, design and technology to maximize your business.
Web design and development is about creativity and technology. You need a perfect balance of both. We offer design that makes your website a pleasure to behold; and the technological expertise that makes it a pleasure to navigate.
- Lead and develop company initiatives and implementations of new technologies
- Define IT infrastructure strategy, architecture, and processes
- Monitor performance of information technology systems to determine cost and productivity levels, and to make recommendations for improving the IT infrastructure
- Analyze business requirements by partnering with key stakeholders across the organization to develop solutions for IT needs
- Assess vendors and develop test strategies for new hardware and software
- Deliver updates to the senior management team on overall completion of projects
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues related to internal IT
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field, OR equivalent experience
- 2-5 years of experience working in IT operations
- Experience leading and managing IT projects and rolling out IT infrastructures across various technologies
- Excellent working knowledge of computer systems, security, network and systems administration, databases and data storage systems, and phone systems
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Excellent project management skills and a strong ability to prioritize
- A firm grasp on IT infrastructure and operations best practices
- Experience administering O365, Exchange, Active Directory and SharePoint environment
- Experience with Hyper-V
- Experience with Watchguard Firewall products
- Experience with administering enterprise level SAAS solutions (Password management/Adobe Creative Cloud/Slack/Humi/Sketch/Atlassian Product line)
- Familiarity with the deployment of cloud-based solutions in AWS, Google Cloud Platform and Azure
- MacOS knowledge is REQUIRED, we primarily use Mac’s but still have some Windows PC’s so you have to be adept on both
- Security designations would be an asset
What you bring:
- Customer service focused – excels at interpersonal communication, creating an effective experience for all levels of staff
- Consultant mindset – open to guide, assist, and make recommendations on how to improve processes.
- Strong presentation ability – able to give concise well-documented updates that are inclusive to technical and non-technical people alike
- Multi-tasking – presents a strong aptitude to stay on top of an array of multiple projects in a timely effective way.
- Always learning – you are never stuck on doing something the same way, constantly seeking original and creative ways to solve a problem
- Adaptable – no problem is too small; no change is too sudden for you to take on. You can always think it through in a pragmatic sense.
- Innovation – you love new technologies and are always open to share your thoughts on something new.
- Vendor management – experience working with an array of partners not limited to contractors.
- You’re motivated by a little radical candor and don’t fear conflict, you understand that fearing conflict just leads to a lack of results